Search, select and show item in Solution Explorer

Post DPack feature requests here.

Moderator: Sergey

Search, select and show item in Solution Explorer

Postby koger » November 6th, 2007, 6:40 am

Hi

I would very much like a feature, much like alt+u. Where I can make an incremental search for items in the solution explorer, and when hitting enter, the item would be selected and shown in the solution explorer :D
koger

Re: Search, select and show item in Solution Explorer

Postby Sergey » November 6th, 2007, 11:14 am

koger wrote:I would very much like a feature, much like alt+u. Where I can make an incremental search for items in the solution explorer, and when hitting enter, the item would be selected and shown in the solution explorer :D

You mean something like DPack's Solution Browser accessible via Alt-S? :)
http://www.usysware.com/dpack/SolutionBrowser.aspx
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby koger » November 6th, 2007, 4:00 pm

No, not really. It doesn't do what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion though.
koger

Postby Sergey » November 6th, 2007, 5:36 pm

koger wrote:No, not really. It doesn't do what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what your request is then. File Browser operates on the entire solution, presenting either code files only or all files. Solution Browser works on the entire solution as well, presenting file types instead. Both features essentially process more or less as much as it is shown in the Solution Explorer.

Could you describe what is that you're looking for please? Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby koger » November 7th, 2007, 7:00 am

I'm looking for a way to search for items listed in the "Solution Explorer", not the solution itself.
When finding a file in File Browser, the file is opened in the editor, I'm looking for a way to select and show it in the Solution Explorer instead of opening it.

To me it would be very useful to find files, which can't be opened in the editor, like zip-files, or files I don't want to open in the editor.

I would also be useful, when I just want to quickly go somewhere in the Solution Explorer. The bigger the solution, the more useful such a function would be.
koger

Postby Sergey » November 7th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Gotcha. I'll add it to the queue. It may take a while to get to that as I've got several big features ahead of that. Thanks for your suggestion.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby koger » November 8th, 2007, 8:10 am

Great, thanks for an awesome tool :D
koger

Postby Sergey » March 19th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know that your feature request's been implemented for the upcoming version. In the new version you'll be able to use the same File Browser but instead of hitting Enter to open a file, you'd rather use Ctrl-Shift-Enter key combination to select that same file in Solution Explorer.

If I wrap up testing then the new version should be out this weekend. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Wish List