Post DPack feature requests here.

Moderator: Sergey

FileBrowser .SQL support

Postby dannyCage » February 20th, 2006, 9:38 am

Would be nice with support for *.sql files too in the “FileBrowserâ€
dannyCage

Postby Sergey » February 20th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Danny,

I assume you work with VS 2005, right? There is a "Show all files or code files only" button on File Browser's toolbar. When it's not pushed down, i.e. in code files only, does it still show .sql files?
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby dannyCage » March 7th, 2006, 11:24 am

Not yet, still using VS2003.

And no it doesnt work, I get all other types of files but not .SQL files.

Worth mentioning is that the SQL files are in a SQL-Project.
dannyCage

Postby Sergey » March 8th, 2006, 11:21 am

dannyCage wrote:Not yet, still using VS2003.

Ah, that explains it. I looked into this way back when some one had reported the same problem. If I recall it correctly, SQL projects don't even expose .sql files via extensibility. In other words, there is no programmatic way to retrieve file list for SQL projects. I'll take a 2nd look to double check but most likely there isn't much I can do about that.

FYI, .sql files handling has been improved in VS 2005. File Browser shows .sql files just fine.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » March 8th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Yep, I was right. SQL projects in VS.NET 2003 don't (programmatically) expose any files. Not much I can do about that I'm afraid. Sorry.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby mpareja » April 5th, 2007, 11:57 am

There must be some way of accomplishing this because tools such as Resharper and I believe CodeRush are able to find these files. Perhaps I will try and look into this a little further.

Mario
mpareja
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » April 6th, 2007, 9:34 am

mpareja wrote:There must be some way of accomplishing this because tools such as Resharper and I believe CodeRush are able to find these files. Perhaps I will try and look into this a little further.

Mario

I'm gonna look more into this for one of the next major versions.

I have confirmed that none of the 3rd party file browsers, DPack's including, that rely on VS DTE extensibility and file code model are able to process Database projects. I have also confirmed that ReSharper happily displays Database project files. They must be using items hierarchy (UIHierarchyItems) or something similar to that against those kind projects.

Let me know if you find anything out on this. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby mpareja » April 10th, 2007, 1:08 pm

Update: I took apart Resharper and found that (as suspected) they do parse the project files directly.
mpareja
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » April 11th, 2007, 1:02 am

I took a quick look at ReSharper and I see that they do massage the project file and load it into XmlDocument. Did you find anything on how they actually parse the database project file?

I went over all VS SDK interfaces again and didn't see anything that would allow me to get to the database project files. It's a shame that this late in the game VS database projects still don't have even basic file code model implementation.

Thanks for looking into this for me.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby zlatan24 » October 30th, 2009, 6:39 pm

For work with sql files my friends usually use different trial tools.But yesterday I had the big problem with sql file.And I found in network-rebuilt mdf.Tool solved my problems in seconds and for free.Besides utility demonstrated how rebuilt mdf program analyzes your database and moves to the evaluation of affected data and corrupted mdf sql 2000.
zlatan24
Starting Member

Re: FileBrowser .SQL support

Postby zlatan24 » February 2nd, 2010, 1:52 pm

dannyCage wrote:Not yet, still using VS2003.

And no it doesnt work, I get all other types of files but not .SQL files.

Worth mentioning is that the SQL files are in a SQL-Project.

There are a lot of tools for recover sql files,but one of it helped me quite good-rebuilt mdf,because it fixed my sql server and files too.Besides application showed me how it read this article for more information about the recovery of affected files in Microsoft SQL Server 7.0, 2000, 2005, 2005 and even 2008 format and so on...
zlatan24
Starting Member

Return to DPack Wish List