Code Browser: Select current member, reset search string

Post DPack feature requests here.

Moderator: Sergey

Code Browser: Select current member, reset search string

Postby jbert » March 13th, 2016, 9:42 am

First of all, thank you for making such a nice collection of tools! Coming from Eclipse I missed a bunch of features which your extension provided without a hitch.

One of my favourite Eclipse features is Quick Outline, which is very similar to what DPack's Code Browser does. Here's a screenshot:

Quick_outline.PNG
Quick_outline.PNG (12.85 KiB) Viewed 4928 times

While there are several differences, the ones which I miss most are:

• The current member (function, variable, whatever) is highlighted so that I can pinpoint how far down I am in the current file, and pressing Up/Down + Enter will jump to the previous / next member (If the filter excludes the current member, the window selects the first non-filtered member in the list).
  • Automatic reset of the search string (this way you can always see all available members again when the window opens, at least if they match your filters)

The first feature is what I miss the most; the navigation bar does show the current item but it can't show me the previous and next members at a glance.

The second feature is just a preference to keep the first feature working smoothly - if the search string wouldn't be cleared then it might cause the first item to be selected more often than the current member. Even if the first feature couldn't be done it would still be nice to have though. I get confused quite often when I reopen Code Browser and I don't see most of the members, it takes a second or two before I realize that my previous query is shown again.
jbert
Starting Member

Re: Code Browser: Select current member, reset search string

Postby Sergey » March 17th, 2016, 10:35 am

Your requests make sense based on where you're coming from. 1st one doesn't fit very well into DPack's design paradigm of fire-and-forget approach tbhwy. There's also filtering to consider, ie if you ask for all methods only but your cursor is on property for instance, things like that. It is doable though. To stay consistent I'd need to implement a similar feature for File Browser as well. I'll add it to the wish list.

2nd suggestion should be easy to implement. I'll expose a configuration option for that. Will try getting it into the next version.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » April 29th, 2016, 11:23 am

jbert wrote:[*]Automatic reset of the search string (this way you can always see all available members again when the window opens, at least if they match your filters)

That's been implemented via new Tools|Options configuration option. Let me know if you'd be interested in giving it a try and I'll post a private beta for you. Otherwise I'll release it in roughly a month. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby jbert » May 9th, 2016, 6:42 am

Sergey wrote:
jbert wrote:[*]Automatic reset of the search string (this way you can always see all available members again when the window opens, at least if they match your filters)

That's been implemented via new Tools|Options configuration option. Let me know if you'd be interested in giving it a try and I'll post a private beta for you. Otherwise I'll release it in roughly a month. Thanks.

I guess I can wait until the end of the month so you don't have to do that effort for me. Thanks for this new feature!
jbert
Starting Member

Return to DPack Wish List