A couple of Solution Backup suggestions

Post DPack feature requests here.

Moderator: Sergey

A couple of Solution Backup suggestions

Postby SteelToad » October 21st, 2010, 7:00 am

First of all, thank you for DPack. I really answered a lot of my VS "Gee it would be nice if ..." problems

In the solution backup 'it would be nice if' ..
if the folder name would support the same macro's as the filename.
if the substitution macro's could be used more than once in one setting.
if it would offer to create a folder that doesn't exist.
if there were $(Time) macro's as well

What I would like to be able to do (and DPack is Soooo close) is.

For each project I'm working on, I save backups throughout the day, to
V:\Development Backups\(Project Name)\(Project Name) (Date) (Time) (little comment).ZIP

DPack wont accept the macro values in the folder name setting, so I tried setting it up in the filename. However substitution seems to occur only on the first occurrance, so I wind up with '$(Solution)' in the filename. But even when I put a directory name into the filename field it will only tell me that the folder does not exist instead of offering to create it.

With these changes it would be very easy to back up each project to separate folders without having to change any DPack settings between projects. It would be really handy when working on more than one project at a time.

Thanks again.
SteelToad
Starting Member

Re: A couple of Solution Backup suggestions

Postby Sergey » October 25th, 2010, 1:35 am

Hi there,

Got some of it addressed for you in the new beta:

* Folder name supports most of the same macros
* Any number of the same macros is supported
* There are 2 new time macros

Destination folder should be created for you even in the current version, unless you have it configured for some shared drives. You may wanna look into code access security configuration for that. Change it to local drive and see if it works. If so, then as I mentioned earlier, you're running into .NET code access security issue. I believe that can be configured via .NET configuration tool.

I'm not quite sure if creating a per-project backup is gonna work though. This is a "solution backup" feature, which operates on the entire solution. There is no macro to get the individual project names and it would actually make little sense to do that. So, I hope you aren't getting your hopes up as it's just not gonna work that way.

New beta is available at:
http://www.usysware.com/files/DPackSetup2008Beta.exe for VS 2008 (844Kb)
http://www.usysware.com/files/DPackSetup2010Beta.exe for VS 2010 (864Kb)

Thanks for your feedback.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby SteelToad » October 25th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Wow, those changes are right on target. In the previous version, even when it was a local drive, it just told me that the directory didn't exist. The beta version went ahead and created the required directory structure for me.

I think the "solution" vs "project" is just a variation in the terminology we're using. I say project because I get to my work from File / Open Project, or the Start Page's Recent Projects. When I open project 'CRF' and then try to save it using the $(Solution) macro, it calls it 'CRF', so no matter what we call it, it's doing exactly what I want (snoopy-dance)

Right now I've got my folder setting as [ V:\VS Project Backups\$(Solution) ]
and my file name format setting as [ $(Solution) $(Date4) $(Time2) ]
This saves each project/solution in a separate folder in my backup drive

The only small thing I would change would be to have a 24 hour time format as hhmm (with the preceding 0) it makes multiple backups line up in the proper sequential order when listing the files.

Thanks again for the updates, this will be a really nice time saver
SteelToad
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » October 25th, 2010, 10:45 pm

Good deal. I've added 2 more time formats for you: hh-mm and hhmm. Wish I could use ':' separator but it just happens to be an invalid file name character. This latest change will be in the final version posted in a couple of week. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby SteelToad » October 27th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Upon a little closer inspection, the beta did not backup the solution subdirectories (bin, obj, Properties, etc) Is this by design ?

Also you might want to rethink the Time2 format. I just did a backup at 4:03 pm and the value it generated was '43'. It would be hard for somebody to tell if that was 4:03 am, 4:03 pm or maybe was supposed to be 1:43 or 4:31
SteelToad
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » October 27th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Correct, that is by design. Any build or file system artifacts not part of the project won't be backed up. DPack relies on project's file list in order to determine what gets backed up.

I refreshed the time formats for you. Give new beta a try to see how it works for you (the same download links as before). Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby SteelToad » November 10th, 2010, 9:06 am

**ACK** The beta expired now what ? ... (and if you say go back to the regular version I will print out my project, and strike you with the resulting stack of paper - one sheet at a time )
SteelToad
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » November 10th, 2010, 10:37 am

I posted a refresh the other day so just re-download the same beta, which will push the expiration date by 2 more weeks. I've got a Xaml issue I've been investing on VS 2010 and that had basically pushed the release back. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Wish List