VS 2017 version

Post DPack feature requests here.

Moderator: Sergey

VS 2017 version

Postby pikacc » January 10th, 2017, 5:59 am

How it looking with DPack VS 2017 version?
I'm slowly starting to use VS 2017 RC...
pikacc

Re: VS 2017 version

Postby Sergey » January 11th, 2017, 9:38 pm

So far not good unfortunately. I was excited awhile back to see it compile with little to no changes other than new references. That was until I got to packaging it up to discover that "old" registry hive storage is gone, something that's been there for many versions in the past. That was done apparently in order to support side-by-side installation of multiple VS version, ie Community, Pro, etc on the same box. I simply don't get why that was a necessity to support in the first place. Ahh... Venting. :evil:

That means I have some registry access code to fix/rework but just as importantly that I can no longer detect VS installation reliably. MS clearly pushes extensibility developers towards their own market place it seems. For DPack that means I'd have to somehow rework keyboard bindings because they aren't allowed to be installed by extensions coming from the Gallery. The only way for me to get them in the past was to have a setup .exe do that. W/o that lots of hotkeys won't be mapped correctly.

So those 2 headaches is what prevents me from releasing an RC compatible version. Stay tuned.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » January 31st, 2017, 12:24 pm

I have pre-release VS 2017 RC compatible beta ready to go. Would you be willing to give it a try before I release it in the wild? Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » February 4th, 2017, 11:28 pm

FYI, 1st VS 2017 RC compatible beta is out. It's available for download at: http://www.usysware.com/dpack
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Wish List