Problem with Numbered Bookmarks VS2015

Post general DPack questions or problem reports here.

Moderator: Sergey

Problem with Numbered Bookmarks VS2015

Postby kdonn » December 30th, 2015, 3:31 pm

I've recently moved into a new machine (Win10, VS2015) and the commands for Numbered Bookmarks are disabled in the XAML editor. They work fine in the C# editor, and they work fine in XAML on my old machine. I've added the commands to a Toolbar just to see if it was a hotkey issue, but it's not - he glyph in the toolbar is also disabled. Any idea?

kd
kdonn

Re: Problem with Numbered Bookmarks VS2015

Postby Sergey » December 30th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Hi there,

Could you post steps to reproduce please?

Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby kdonn » December 30th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Unfortunately, Sergey, I don't. It simply works on one machine and doesn't on the other. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it on the broken machine, but it simply will not enable numbered bookmarks in the XAML editor of the broken machine. I was just hoping it was something you had seen before.

kd
kdonn

Postby Sergey » December 30th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Start with sort of File|New... project type scenario for me please, including project langues, type, and what extra files you've added to the project to make it happen on broken computer. I can double check it here.

As far as what might be causing it, let me go over the list of things to check:
* check to see if VS 2015 Update 1 is installed one computer vs the other one
* make sure Bookmarks feature is enabled - Tools|Options->DPack
* turn On logging from the same options dialog, try repro the case and send me the log folder contents please, which you can get to from the the same dialog

Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby kdonn » December 31st, 2015, 12:30 pm

First, I was wrong about it working on the old machine. The old machine is running VS2013 and it works there, but it's also an older version of DPack as well. Sorry about that. I've tried it on another machine that is also Win10, VS2015, and DPack 3.9.1 and it has the same problem - no numbered bookmarks in XAML editor.

Steps to reproduce are:

1) Start VS2015.
2) File -> New -> Project... -> Installed -> Templates -> Visual C# -> Windows -> WPF Application
3) In MainWindow.xaml.cs press Ctrl-Shift-1, Bookmark Number 1 appears in gutter.
4) In MainWindow.xaml (XAML pane, not Design) press Ctrl-Shift-1, nothing happens.

Regarding your list of things to check, both broken installations are 14.0.24720.00 Update 1 and DPack 3.9.1. The working one is 12.0.40629.00 Update 5 and DPack 3.8.3.

Bookmarks are enabled in all three installations.

And I've attached the logging folder after doing the four steps above.

I appreciate your support and let me know if I can do anything else to help.
Attachments
DPack for VS 2015.zip
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
kdonn

Postby Sergey » January 4th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Thanks for the repro steps. That turned out much an easier problem to work around. Should've thought of that 1st. It's basically default VS keyboard mapping issue where some hotkey are assigned to other VS commands. You can either reassign missing bookmark shortcuts yourself or use DPack mapping scheme that comes with DPack. To change mapping scheme you can use Tools|Options->Environment|Keyboard page and then pick it from the drop down list. DPack mapping scheme is only available with standalone setup application, ie VS gallery version doesn't come with that. HTH.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby kdonn » January 4th, 2016, 4:08 pm

I don't think that's it, Sergey. I've attached three screen grabs:

1) Keyboard.PNG - Note here that I've got the DPack keyboard mapping configured.
2) Toolbar.PNG - Here I've added the "Toggle Bookmark 1" command (blue circle) to the Text Editor tool bar (red circle). Note the yellow highlighted tab showing that I'm editing a XAML file. You can see that it's not simply a keyboard mapping problem. The command glyph itself is disabled. Also note that the built-in command "Bookmark Toggle" is fine and available.
3) Works with c#.PNG - This shows that when I edit a c# file, the command glyph (blue circle) is now enabled.

Again, thanks for your support.
Attachments
Works with c#.PNG
Note that everything works in C#
Works with c#.PNG (26.45 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
Keyboard.PNG
Keyboard setting
Keyboard.PNG (111.18 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
Toolbar.PNG
Number bookmark on Toolbar
Toolbar.PNG (90.45 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
kdonn

Postby Sergey » January 5th, 2016, 1:02 am

You're right, that was not it. I parsed your reply too quickly assuming you meant Xaml code file, which isn't the case.

I was able to repro it here. Seems like it's totally broken in VS 2015. From what I've been able to find so far is that it seems that they must've introduced a considerably modified Xaml designer, which had necessitated new Guids. That basically broke all DPack bookmarks support. I'm looking into fixing it once I figure out all the new Guids, which aren't advertised consistently. Then it should be pretty straightforward to fix.

Stay tuned. Hopefully I'll have a beta out shortly. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » January 7th, 2016, 10:58 am

Beta 3 for VS 2013 and 2105 are up, so here you go:

VS 2013 beta
VS 2015 beta

Let me know how that works for you. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby kdonn » January 7th, 2016, 11:06 am

I think that does it, Sergey. Very much appreciated. I don't know how people get by with those round-robin bookmarks. BTW, I only tried the VS2015. I don't have an active VS2013 installation anymore.
kdonn

Postby Sergey » January 7th, 2016, 11:21 am

Excellent. Thanks for confirming it for me.

VS 2013 version is unaffected, I just post them together normally. It looks like new editor Guid treatment was for VS 2015 only, which implies a major Xaml editor/designer change.

New version should GA by end of the month, give or take.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Support