Deadlock on solution load in VS 2013 with 3.8 betas

Post general DPack questions or problem reports here.

Moderator: Sergey

Deadlock on solution load in VS 2013 with 3.8 betas

Postby joshnorton » December 10th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Hi Sergey,

Visual Studio 2013 locks up on me every other time I open a large solution with the 3.8 betas. I have to use task manager to kill VS, which will open correctly the next time. I've attached some log files for you. It's easily reproducible so let me know if you need more info.

Also, you previously modified DPack to load the Solution Browser cache once the async load of the entire solution has been completed (http://www.usysware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=173). It seems with the 3.8 betas for VS 2013 that this functionality is gone (or broken) again. Would it be possible for you to take a look - this slows down the Solution load time for me drastically.

Regards,
Josh
Attachments
DPack for VS 2013 - Deadlock Occurred.zip
Log files
(122.82 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
joshnorton

Re: Deadlock on solution load in VS 2013 with 3.8 betas

Postby Sergey » December 11th, 2013, 12:03 am

Are there any particular steps to follow in order to reproduce the problem? Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby joshnorton » December 11th, 2013, 3:55 am

Not really, the deadlock happens to me every other time I start Visual Studio. The non-async loading happens everytime I load the rather large solution I work with daily.
joshnorton

Postby Sergey » December 11th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Thanks. I probably won't get a chance to investigate it until this weekend. And I assume when you say deadlock it's more like a totally locked up and unresponsive VS. It'd probably come back to life if you were let it sit for a very long time, not suggesting you do that though.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby joshnorton » December 12th, 2013, 2:05 am

VS remains responsive but displays the modal dialog "Preparing Solution", like it's waiting for a background operation to complete. Since the dialog is modal VS is for me 'dead'. I guess I used to term deadlock because that's what it feels like to me is happening. The GUI thread seems to be waiting for a background operation to complete that never completes. I have left VS running in this state for some time and nothing seems to happen.
joshnorton

Postby Sergey » December 16th, 2013, 1:24 am

Hopefully I got it fixed. I think my earlier attempt at fixing async solution load problem was unsuccesful. Problem is also there on VS 2012 version of DPack, it just seem to manifest itself in a slightly less sever way.

The gist of the problem is that while solution is getting async loaded, VS notifies subscribers of project additions as they get loaded, one at a time. This was an unexpected behavior. I suspect that UI thread is a bad place to be at that time. So, while DPack attempts to do as little as possible on UI thread, most of that project added processing is done right on it. On a sizable solution it could totally lock things up.

The bottom line though is that while solution's being loaded, async or not, project additions shouldn't be processed at all. And that's how this new beta attempts to address this problem. You should see no additional DPack related dialogs or interference from while solution's being loaded. Furthermore, attempting to bring up Solution Browser in dialog mode in that state would result in a nice beep w/o the dialog being shown; and in toolwindow mode the list'd just stay empty until after solution's finished loading.

Please give new beta a try and let me know how it works for you. Thanks for bringing it up.

DPack 3.8.1 Beta 6 for VS 2012
DPack 3.8.1 Beta 6 for VS 2013
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby joshnorton » December 16th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Thank you very much. I've installed it and I'll let you know how I get on.
joshnorton

Return to DPack Support