Code editor losts focus when tab is selected

Post general DPack questions or problem reports here.

Moderator: Sergey

Code editor losts focus when tab is selected

Postby jcernoch » September 12th, 2012, 6:36 am

When I click on a Tab of docked file in Code editor, editor losts focus and focus gets another window (typically Project Explorer, if it is closed, Error List or Find Results etc...).

The issue appears only if option "Document TabWell" from the latest Productivity Power Tools extension and DPack are enabled together.

If tab is clicked, only pinned tabs suffers from this issue. If tab is switched by Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn shortcuts (Power Tools shortcuts) all tabs suffer (focus is lost).

Moreover I realized that tabs of files that are not from solution (they are not shown in Solution explorer) never cause focus lost (even if pinned, clicked or activated with keyboard shortcuts).

A little complicated behavior, but I want to describe the issue as detailed as possible.

It is very annoying and makes your perfect extension unusable. I'm using mostly keyboard and if I switch tab with Ctrl+PgUp focus is moved to another window and I must use Alt+0 shortcut to get cursor back to the code editor. Please help.

The problem appears independently on setting of Tools -> Options -> Project and Solutions -> General -> Track active Item in Solution Explorer.

My configuration:
Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit, all patches applied
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Installed Version: Professional

Document Well 2010 Plus 1.0.10916.0
This package provides configurable behavior for the Document Well and its tabs. Please be sure to let us know what you like/dislike about this extension.

DPack 3.0.17
DPack for Visual Studio

On my other computer with Windows Vista 32-bit the issue does not appear. Configuration:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel
Installed Version: Professional

Document Well 2010 Plus 1.0.10916.0
This package provides configurable behavior for the Document Well and its tabs. Please be sure to let us know what you like/dislike about this extension.

DPack 3.0.17
DPack for Visual Studio

I'm attaching also DPack log.

Many regards and thank you for your tools!

Jarek
Attachments
DPack for VS 2010.zip
DPack log
(103.78 KiB) Downloaded 454 times
jcernoch
Starting Member

Re: Code editor losts focus when tab is selected

Postby Sergey » September 14th, 2012, 11:33 pm

Hi,

Hmm... I can't seem to be able to reproduce the problem. Could you be more specific about the steps and your Power Toys / DPack setup please?

Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby jcernoch » September 17th, 2012, 2:18 am

Yes, I can. I did some exploration and 1) find workaround for me; 2) find minimal configuration of PwerTools and DPack that still causes the issue.

Note: I'm using Microsoft "Productivity Power Tools" v. 10.0.20626.18. (not any "power toy" - it is from VSCT) and DPack v.3.0.17.

ad 1) My workaround is to disable "Quick Access" features from "Productivity Power Tools". I do not use this feature and its disabling solves my problems with focus.

ad 2) In Power tools there must be enabled at least these two features: "Document Well 2010 Plus", and "Quick Access". Disabling "Quick Access" stops the issue. Even if I have all other options enabled but "Quick Access" disabled, the problem does not appear. So the problematic seems to me "Quick Access".

I could not find any configuration of "Document Well" or another feautre that affects the behavior in any way. So I think it does not depend on "Productivity Power Tools" settings except enabling "Quick Access".

Finally I found out that even if "Document Well" is disabled, the same problem appear if switching tabs by Ctrl+Tag/Ctrl+Shift+Tab. The editor switches the tab but then again loses focus.

In DPack it was easier and I found out that enabling/disabling of "Surround With" controls the appearance of the issue. Any other options do not affect the issue. If "Surround With" enabled, the problem appears.

---

So here is conclusion about configuration that causes the problem:

1. "Productivity Power Tools" must have enabled "Quick Access" feature (in Tools -> Options -> Productivity Power Tools) in the configuration. Any other settings of Power Tools does not affect the behavior.

as well as

2. "DPack" must have enabled "Surround With" feature.

I have opened a C++ solution. When I use Ctrl+Tab to switch between multiple .cpp/.h files opened in code editor, the editor always loses focus and "Solution Explorer" gets focus. If "Solution Explorer" is closed or docked into editor, another window gets the focus. If all other windows are closed or docked (there is only editor window), the issue does not appear (the focus "cannot escape" and stays in the editor :-).

---

As I have now workarounds (thanks to this issue :-), the issue is not ciritcal for me and I can go back to DPack. It's up to you if you try to explore the problem but I know that conflicts between multiple plugins/extensions are very hard to analyse. Moreover it's interesting that on another installation of VS where I use exactly the same plugins but with different (higher) version of Visual Studio, the problem does not appear...

Thank you for your cooperation.
jcernoch
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » September 17th, 2012, 9:03 pm

I will investigate it on my end. Thanks for a detail problem submission. The leg work you dud on that is very much appreciated.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Support