Constant error dialogs in version 2.9.3.0

Post general DPack questions or problem reports here.

Moderator: Sergey

Constant error dialogs in version 2.9.3.0

Postby Miguel Melo » December 13th, 2009, 6:47 pm

A couple of days ago I started using DPack following a friend's suggestion on a C# project. For a couple of days I only used the File Browser and I must admit I am very impressed.

This weekend I decided to test it on a native C++ solution and started using the Solution Browser. While this funcionality proved to be amazing to use, I noticed that I constantly get error dialogs while editing the sources. Sometimes I get 5 or 6, sometimes I end up clicking away hundreds of errors (or just kiling VS 2008).

It seems to me that DPack is constantly trying to update the cache as I change the source code and - I'm guessing here - it gets confused when the source isn't valid.

The log says

14:22:01.484 *** Start logging ***
14:22:01.500 Date: 12/13/09
14:22:01.500 Version: 2.9.3.0
14:22:01.500 Runtime: 2.0.50727.3603 SP2
14:22:01.500 IDE: 9.0.21022
14:22:01.500 OS: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600.131072)
14:22:01.500 Process Id: 3856
14:22:01.546 Error processing code model change Deleted for element '_CavalryTaxModifier' of vsCMElementVariable kind.
14:22:01.546 Exception information:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
at EnvDTE.CodeElement.get_ProjectItem()
at USysWare.Drivers.SolutionBrowser.CacheUpdater.Refresh(CodeElement element, Object parent, CodeModelChangeType change)
at USysWare.Drivers.SolutionBrowser.SolutionBrowserDriver.CodeModelChanged(CodeElement element, Object parent, CodeModelChangeType change)
at USysWare.Driver.DriverFactory.CodeModelChanged(CodeElement element, Object parent, CodeModelChangeType change)
14:22:05.546 Error processing code model change Deleted for element '_vCavalryTaxLevel' of vsCMElementVariable kind.
14:22:05.546 Exception information:
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
at EnvDTE.CodeElement.get_ProjectItem()
at USysWare.Drivers.SolutionBrowser.CacheUpdater.Refresh(CodeElement element, Object parent, CodeModelChangeType change)
at USysWare.Drivers.SolutionBrowser.SolutionBrowserDriver.CodeModelChanged(CodeElement element, Object parent, CodeModelChangeType change)
at USysWare.Driver.DriverFactory.CodeModelChanged(CodeElement element, Object parent, CodeModelChangeType change)
14:22:06.093 Error processing code model change Deleted for element '_COTLostUntil' of vsCMElementVariable kind.
(...)

And seems to repeat the error on and on for all the memebr vars in the file.

Is this a known error? Any way I can make the solution browser cache only update on request to work around it?
Miguel Melo
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » December 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Hi Miguel,

Sorry for taking time to reply. I'm away from the office on a business trip this week. I'll start looking into this issue next week.

In order to work around it for now, set Solution Browser to work in toolwindow mode and also set cache option to in memory. That'll stop all errors as long as you aren't using Solution Browser (Tools|DPack|Options).

If you could email me some sort of test project or provide steps to reproduce that'd help a lot. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Miguel Melo » December 19th, 2009, 10:46 am

Hiya,

I've only tried DPack with my current C++ solution which really is a gargantuan one (about 350k lines) so I really cannot send it to you. I'll try with a smaller solution and let you know if it happens.

I currently disabled the use of Solution Explorer (I'm only using File Explorer) and I've got no problems but as I said, I believe I got the errors when I was halfway through editing files (i.e. the C++ syntax was invalid). At one time, I'm pretty sure the status bar said that Visual Studio was updating Intellisense when it happened. Maybe you are using the Intellisense DB to build the solution info and it is incomplete at that time?

Thanks,

Miguel
Miguel Melo
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » December 22nd, 2009, 11:53 am

Hi there,

I'll be honest with you, I don't use C++ in my day to day work so I never notice these issues. I test extensively but it only goes that far. So, if you could come up with a reproducible scenario, it'd help a lot to track it down.

No, I'm not using C++ I/DB. Solution Browser relies on VS's DTE extensibility. C++ project system's implementation behaves just a bit differentially though, enough to cause some hard to reproduce issues.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » December 24th, 2009, 7:16 pm

I had a hard time reproducing your problem until I've noticed that errors started getting logged shortly after log was opened. That to me indicated code model updates were being processed automatically on solution load as oppose to you actually making manual modifications.

So, as soon as I put together a test case where file is deleted from the solution while it's closed and then solution's re-opened, I was able to reproduce your problem just fine. I did fix part of a similar issue in the latest version but this turned out to be just a slightly different case, and entirely C++ related I might add.

The problem is fixed now. I've got a new beta ready for you to try. Please give it a shot and let me know how it works for you, enabling Solution Browser persistent cache back I presume.

The new beta is available at:
http://www.usysware.com/files/DPackSetup2008Beta.exe (821Kb)

Thanks for bringing it up.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Re: Constant error dialogs in version 2.9.3.0

Postby Miguel Melo » December 30th, 2009, 8:17 am

Hi Sergey!

Thank you very much for looking at this! I shall try it tonight when I get home.

FYI, I had managed to reproduce the problem with another C++ solution but it was also a very large one with loads of proprietary dependencies. When I tried on a 3rd solution (that was more manageable and I could send to you), try as I might I couldn't get it to happen.

I'll let you know in the next couple of days - many thanks again! :D

Miguel
Miguel Melo
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » December 30th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Thanks. If you don't mind, please re-download the latest beta. One you have is a private beta, and version I've just released is an official beta. Thanks again.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Miguel Melo » January 13th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Hi,

Just to let you know this beta has been holding up really well - I haven't had the crash again! :D

Many thanks once again,

Miguel
Miguel Melo
Starting Member

Return to DPack Support